Content of this page:
1. CBR Matrix - a visual representation of CBR
2. Working Abroad - a guide for therapists
3. Working As A Volunteer Abroad - a list of relevant organisations
Community Based Rehabilitation
Occupational Therapists workingin low and middle income countries need to be aware of the principes of community-based rehabilitation (CBR)
Whose aim is....
"to help people with disabilities, by establishing community-based programs for social integration, equalization of opportunities, and Physical therapy rehabilitation programs for the disabled. The strength of CBR programs is that they can be made available in rural areas, with limited infrastructure, as program leadership is not restricted to professionals in healthcare, educationalists, Occupational therapy vocational or social services. Rather, CBR programs involve the people with disabilities themselves, their families and communities, as well as appropriate professionals." ( Wikipedia, 2017)
Find out more at: http://www.who.int/disabilities/cbr/guidelines/en/
This is a comprehensive guide produced jointly by OT Frontiers and its sister organisations, Communication Therapy and Physiotherapy.
• Preparing to work abroad, finding work, keeping safe, and returning home
• Good practice guidance including approaches to working in low-income contexts, supervision and CPD, getting started in a new country, cultural awareness and promoting sustainability
• Working abroad as a student practitioner
• References for further key reading.
Although you can download this guide by clicking on the link below, please consider making a small donation (£3-5) to OT Frontiers to help us cover the cost of it's production. For more information about how to do this please contact firstname.lastname@example.org